Stottler Henke provides Critical Chain Project Management (CCPM) consulting. Stottler Henke has unique knowledge and experience in deploying some of the world’s most complex critical chain implementations. Stottler Henke leverages its experience and expertise to assist organizations improve their practice of project, program and portfolio management.
Stottler Henke’s Aurora-CCPM critical chain software can greatly improve throughput and transparency of the organization, but only if CCPM is properly implemented and the project models are correctly constructed. In many cases since the tools currently being utilized cannot implement CCPM, the model of projects and the necessary resources as well as the other aspects of the organization are not currently being properly modeled to be able to be exploited by CCPM. By leveraging the expertise and experience of Stottler Henke in the application of CCPM to other complex projects and portfolio of projects, Stottler Henke will provide the shortest path to a complete rollout of Critical Chain Project Management.
The new results of Stottler Henke’s consulting efforts will include a complete process for the CCPM implementation from data collection through automated scheduling and execution via Aurora-CCPM. The process many times includes interfacing with other data sources from the organization, extracting the proper subset of that data and importing it into Aurora-CCPM. By developing a complete process the many benefits, including increase throughput, will become part of an improved company culture.
Overview of Implementation
- Understand the current situation
- Determine what needs to change to realize benefits of Critical Chain
- Determine the desired future state, i.e., what processes need to change to support Critical Chain
- Determine how to cause the change
- Take action
Critical Chain provides a holistic view of project or portfolio of projects. That is, everyone can see how any change influences the overall project / portfolio so all decisions can be made to maximize overall throughput.
Post CCPM Implementation
Some changes that may occur after the implementation include:
- Tasks started in line with the pace of progress, not because original schedule’s start time
- Reduction of Work In Progress (WIP)
- Performance based on throughput and consumption of buffer, not on completion of individual tasks or EVM.
- Open task progress measured via updates to estimated remaining durations, not % complete.
- Tasks with longer than original remaining durations receive help per needs of overall project throughput, no incentive to hide late tasks hoping they will recover before the rest of team finds out.
- Shorter meetings thanks to clear metrics and common goal.
Importing from other Systems
What can be a major component of the intelligent scheduling consulting is the importing of data from other data sources. Aurora-CCPM already has the ability to import from various project management software, such as Microsoft Project and Primavera, in addition we have vast experience importing from other corporate databases including SAP and Oracle-based systems. Aurora-CCPM includes an Application Programmer’s Interface (API) that can be used by the client to transport data into Aurora-CCPM. Or Stottler Henke can use its experience to provide the interface to seamlessly integrate data from other data sources and bring into Aurora-CCPM for its intelligent scheduling processing.